The most important rule is cleanliness. To keep it clean does not meant to wash it repeatedly; it means to prevent it from getting unclean in the first place.
Follow Only These Instructions
At Thirty3, artists use a product called Saniderm, a medical grade second skin that essentially replaces traditional aftercare. It is applied after the tattoo is finished and typically stays on for up to six (6) days; however your artists will give more specific instructions regarding how long to leave it on.
Saniderm allows the tattoo to breathe fully while protecting it and keeping the perfect moisture balance. In most cases the tattoo is healed once the Saniderm comes off, but there may be another day or two of peeling skin. There will be another week or so of the skin appearing dry, or even flaking. Use quality white lotion such as Lubriderm during this time, just to keep it moisturized. It can be upwards of a month before the skin is fully recovered.
- Depending on the size of the tattoo, the Saniderm may need to be changed within 24 hours. Sometimes tattoos will weep for a period afterwards, and the Saniderm may trap fluid underneath. If it is excessive (you can see pockets of fluid), it needs to be changed. A little bit is normal, and is generally fine to leave on.
- It is waterproof, but do not submerge it underwater. Showering is fine, but be brief. It is important not to sweat while wearing it, as it will trap sweat underneath. Please plan accordingly, and avoid exercise and/or strenuous activity for the duration.
- The Saniderm is protective, but it is important to remember that the tattoo is still very delicate while healing. Be careful with and be conscious of the tattooed area.
- If the edges start to peel back, secure it with some medical tape, being careful not to cover the tattoo itself. Remember, the tattoo needs to breathe, and only Saniderm is breathable.
- When removing the Saniderm, start at a corner and go slow, peeling it back against itself. Slowly coax any areas that don’t let go easily. It may almost look like the tattoo is coming off in places, but this is just the dead skin layer that will be removed with the Saniderm.
- If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call the shop. You can also visit www.saniderm.com for general information about the product.